Drupal 7 is here!
Shawn
2011-01-06 07:29:07 UTC
The long awaited Drupal 7 is here.

http://drupal.org/

I've seen hints of things to be included, and the learning curve should
be drastically cut. I know I'll be installing it very quickly and
seeing what's new.

Shawn

**Please remove these lines when replying
John Clarke
2011-01-06 14:59:50 UTC
Post by Shawn
The long awaited Drupal 7 is here.
http://drupal.org/
I've seen hints of things to be included, and the learning curve
should be drastically cut. I know I'll be installing it very quickly
and seeing what's new.
Shawn
**Please remove these lines when replying
The site includes an engaging article that details how The Economist.com
migrated their website off ColdFusion and Oracle to Drupal 6.

To switch platforms, apparently they developed and open sourced tools
for incremental migration, to import new content and users over time.

John

**Please remove these lines when replying
Shawn
2011-01-06 23:45:17 UTC
So I've been playing with 7 for most of the day and so far I like it.
Almost everything you already know about Drupal still applies. But how
you get there has changed. They have done TONS of work on the
interface, and from an end user's perspective it will be much much
easier to use. You are still building web pages on the fly though, so
you still need to understand at least a little of the underlying
concepts. (i.e. images don't show if you use Plain Text (new content
type!), or Filtered HTML).

I applied the 7 version of one of the themes I've been working with
lately, and very little changes there. You still have page.tpl.php and
all the related elements. So any training you have on theming is still
pertinent. The overall file structure of the application is still very
familiar as well.

In terms of performance, I'm not really noticing any differences between
versions 6 and 7. I'm sure there are some improvements there, but my
test box is fast enough that they are a little hard to notice. I'm not
worried in any way regarding performance.

My only real concern is that 7 is too new. I'm migrating a new customer
website to 7 now, but I won't be migrating existing version 6 sites for
at least a few months. On the otherhand, Drupal is a very active
project, and I have faith that any bugs or issues that *may* crop up
will be fixed pretty quick.

All in all, I give Drupal 7 two thumbs up!

Shawn
t***@terralogic.net
Shawn
2011-01-08 16:24:29 UTC
Nope, can't compare the two. I haven't used Joomla since it's earliest
days, so I can't really do a comparison. However, I can generalize a bit.

Short version: Joomla and Drupal serve similar purposes, but arrived at
that point via different ideals. If you are looking at simply putting
up a website, either one will do the trick - pick which ever "clicks"
for you. But that means you have to try them out. Wordpress is a
viable consideration as well, though I don't think it is quite as robust
as Drupal and Joomla (i.e. can it do ecommerce??). If you need to
create custom code and interface with the underlying system, well I
think Drupal has the edge there, but again I can't say for sure because
I haven't used Joomla recently. Drupal is actually a development
framework where it's default incarnation is the CMS we've come to know
and love. But, if you dig under the hood, you can do soo much more with
it. As with any complex framework, it takes time and effort to wrap
your head around how and why they do things though. But, most people
don't use Drupal in this context.

Long Version:
In the Before Days building web pages took a lot of work. Then someone
magicked up this idea called "content management system". Or CMS for
short. Shortly later there were many different kinds of CMSs in the
world. But the prominent packages were Mambo and Drupal. Wordpress
came along shortly later and Mambo forked to become Joomla.

At the start, these packages filled different needs. Mambo/Joomla had
more of a commercial intent. You still see this today with the number
of modules that you pay for (I think it's still the same). Drupal
started out as a community building tool - blogs, forums, etc. The
sharing of knowledge and code was important to the Drupal devs which
resulted in $0 cost for the Drupal modules. (I'm oversimplifying here,
but not tooo much...) Wordpress started out as a blogging tool.

Then they all grew up and evolved. Joomla and Drupal are pretty much
interchangable in terms of functionality. Both can run ecommerce sites,
blog sites, forums, brochure sites, etc. How they do it is different
and reflects the different ideals when they started out. Wordpress does
more than blogs now too, but I'm not sure if you can do a full ecommerce
site with it.

So, the long and short of it is to try both (it only takes a few minutes
to set up a test site for either) and decide which one you like.

If/when you need more than what the basic systems need, then you look to
the modules/plugins. You use these to add functionality. Chances are
if you need it, so did someone else and they built a module for it.
Everything from custom content types, to unique ways of veiwing those
types, to URL manipulation, and SEO improvements, and integrating
analytics, and... the list is very very long.
(http://drupal.org/project/modules/categories) IF you get to a point
where there are no modules, or you need to integrate a custom
application/data, then you get lower into the code and this is where we
start to see more drastic differences.

Joomla and Wordpress are pretty much applications. Sure you can get
down to the code and make changes, but most of the code was aimed
specifically at building the application. So these tools are a little
more rigid. Drupal is a different beast. Some don't consider it a CMS
at all. Instead it is a full development framework. The CMS that we
see is just the "normal" usage of the framework. But Drupal provides
tools/hooks/apis to be used in radically different manners. But like
any development framework, it takes time and effort to learn and really
understand. It is possible to build complete custom applications to
meet business needs (workflow managemnet, HR tools, etc.) using Drupal.
That all depends on your needs. (I opted for Zend Framework when I
needed a robust framework, but Drupal was in the running for a while...)

So, if your needs are simple, grab whatever tool you like and run with
it. If you need more complex solutions, you'll start noticing that
Drupal is somewhat more suited (IMO).

Hope that helps.

Shawn
Greg Saunders
2011-01-08 19:25:47 UTC
For what is worth (maybe not much :) ), I'm a python developer who's been
using Django for years. Don't worry, this is not a Django post. Django is a
very elegant MVC framework for developing web apps / sites ... but I've
always felt is was missing something.

I'm been following Drupal and Joomla for a long time ... every now and again
I'll install them and poke around a bit but I always walk away from them
because I find them too Frankensteinian.

It could be because I've loathed PHP for years or more than likely I could
just never "get it" from a Joomla or Drupal perspective.

But wait! What's this on the horizon?

SilverStripe!

If you're looking for a PHP MVC CMS framework for web site development ...
you must take a look see.

It's been a while since I've been excited about any new technology but SS
has got me all giddy.

http://www.silverstripe.com/
http://www.silverstripe.org/

It's open source of course.

Anyway, good luck.
Greg
Shawn
2011-01-08 20:02:21 UTC
With most of the web based PHP frameworks I've seen they insist on
abstracting out the html forms. Sure you can do validation and
filtering of form data on the fly, but the method for building a form
becomes so foreign and time consuming, that I really can build the app
faster if I code plain HTML/CSS/JS, with filtering on the back end where
needed. So in that sense, I end up with a frakenstein app using the
framework for most everything, except forms.

But this is what I meant when I referred to the learning curve. It took
me about 2 or 3 months to get comfortable with Zend Framework. Not
because I'm a weak coder, but because I had specific tasks I was trying
to accomplish and I did not know how the framework was organized to
begin with. Getting past that I still run into troubles all the time
because I just can't see the coding problem in the same light the dev's
did (like the forms example above).

On the flip side, once you "get" the framework, some tasks become
encredibly quick and easy. ACLs, AD/LDAP integration. Multiple
database connections and/or data stores, REST server/client, etc. All
this can be built up in minutes compared to the days needed if you did
it manually. And nevermind the security concerns - the framework is
constantly updated to address issues, and as long as you keep the
framework current, you *should* be relatively safe and can focus on the
business problem, not securing code. Still, I've seen the framework
updates break existing code, so updates need to be done in a
non-production area.

I'm checking out SilverStripe now... Thanks for the tip.

Shawn